Victoria Derby Day falls on Saturday 29th October 2016 at Flemington racecourse in Melbourne and features the 2016 Victoria Derby.
Widely regarded as Australia’s most prestigious day of thoroughbred racing, Victoria Derby Day showcases four quality Group 1 races, including the Victoria Derby.
The $1,500,000 Group 1 Victoria Derby (2500m) is the premier three-year-old race of the spring for young stayers, especially those with eyes on a stallion career.
Other Group 1 races include the $1,000,000 Longines Mile (1600m), $500,000 Myer Classic (1600m) and $500,000 Coolmore Stud Classic (1200m).
Every race on Victoria Derby Day is a group race and the Victoria Racing Club (VRC) offer almost $5,000,000 in prizemoney for racing participants.
2016 Victoria Derby Day
The 2016 Victoria Derby is one of nine group races on Victoria Derby Day, including four Group 1 races, two Group 2 races and three Group 3 races.
- Group 1 $1,500,000 AAMI Victoria Derby (2500m)
- Group 1 $1,000,000 Longines Mile (1600m)
- Group 1 $500,000 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m)
- Group 1 $500,000 Myer Classic (1600m)
- Group 2 $250,000 Wakeful Stakes (2000m)
- Group 2 $250,000 Salinger Stakes (1200m)
- Group 3 $200,000 Carbine Club Stakes (1600m)
- Group 3 $200,000 The Lexus Stakes (2500m)
- Group 3 $200,000 Chatham Stakes (1400m)
Take advantage of the FREE Sportsbet Black Book to follow your favourite horses during the Melbourne spring racing carnival.
Join Sportsbet here for free and receive an email or SMS when one of your favourites are due to race.
Tarzino storms to 2015 Victoria Derby win
Craig Newitt rode the Mick Price trained Tarzino to victory in the 2015 Victoria Derby, defeating Etymology and Kia Ora Koutou in easy fashion.
Tarzino won by 2 lengths and ran 2:38.39 for the 2500 metre distance.
Find out what the past five winners of the Victoria Derby can tell you here.