Victorian racing has major racing carnivals in the autumn & spring with the Melbourne Cup Carnival in November the biggest of them all.
The Melbourne spring racing carnival takes hold of Melbourne in October & November each year with exciting feature race action on offer.
Australia’s best gallopers, along with any capable internationals, make their way to Caulfield, Moonee Valley & Flemington to compete in our biggest races.
The jewel in the crown is the $6M Melbourne Cup on the first Tuesday in November.
Kicking things off in early October is the Melbourne Racing Club’s spectacular three-day Caulfield Cup Carnival at Caulfield racecourse.
Caulfield Cup Carnival
The Group 1 Caulfield Guineas, Group 1 Thousand Guineas and Group 1 Caulfield Cup are the feature events of the Caulfield Cup Carnival.
- Caulfield Guineas Day (Saturday 8th October 2016 )
- Blue Sapphire Stakes Day (Wednesday 12th October 2016)
- Caulfield Cup Day (Saturday 15th October 2016)
The following weekend the Moonee Valley Racing Club hosts the two-day Cox Plate Carnival at Moonee Valley.
Cox Plate Carnival
Feature races of the Cox Plate Carnival at Moonee Valley are the Group 1 Manikato Stakes on Friday night followed by Group 1 Cox Plate the following day.
- Manikato Stakes Night (Friday 21st October 2016)
- Cox Plate Day (Saturday 22nd October 2016)
Once the Cox Plate is done and dusted, all eyes turn to the Victoria Racing Club’s fabulous four-day Melbourne Cup Carnival at Flemington.
Melbourne Cup Carnival
With a truckload of feature races up for grabs, the Melbourne Cup is the race that stops the country. The Group 1 Victoria Derby, Crown Oaks and Emirates Stakes ably support our greatest race.
- Victoria Derby Day (Saturday 29th October 2016)
- Melbourne Cup Day (Tuesday 1st November 2016)
- Crown Oaks Day (Thursday 3rd November 2016)
- Emirates Stakes Day (Saturday 5th November 2016)
Visit Sportsbet for the latest spring racing carnival odds.
Spring Racing Country Cups
Country racing has some great cup meetings around Melbourne Cup time.
Melbourne Autumn Racing Carnivals
Caulfield, Flemington, and Moonee Valley are also home to the major autumn race days in Melbourne.
- Caulfield – C.F. Orr Stakes Day & Blue Diamond Stakes Day
- Flemington – Lightning Stakes Day, Australian Guineas Day, Australian Cup Day
- Moonee Valley – Alister Clark Stakes Night & William Reid Stakes Day